Re: skill level & what to include on resume

Subject: Re: skill level & what to include on resume
From: Jim Grey <mobilene -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 07:26:05 -0700

Gail Bernstein writ:
> What skill level should I have with an operating system or software program
> before I include it on my resume? I'm a long-time Mac user (7.5) and have
> been using Word 5.0 for Macs. I've just started using Windows 98 and Word
> for Windows, and I'm just beginning to learn HTML.

As a hiring manager, I care far more about actual writing and information
design ability than tool skill. I expect familiarity with window-based
operating systems (MacOS, Windows, X-windows) and familiarity with at least
some of the typical tools used to prepare our work (such as Word 97, RoboHELP,
FrameMaker, FrontPage). I generally don't pay very much attention to
tool-skill lists on resumes.

However, many hiring managers disagree with me. For those managers, you might
write:

--Software skills--
Strong experience: MacOS 7.5, Word 5 for Macintosh
Light experience: Windows 98, Word 97

Peace,
jim
===
jim grey / mobilene -at- yahoo -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=