Re: Symbol for pressing RETURN?

Subject: Re: Symbol for pressing RETURN?
From: Martha J Davidson <editrix -at- SLIP -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 09:53:48 -0700

At 12:23 PM 5/6/99 -0400, Karen Peterson asked:
>I want to put a symbol at the end of typed text to indicate that the user
>must press RETURN. I'm torn between using the carriage return symbol
>(Symbol, char 0191) and the registered trademark symbol (circle R).

I don't know what char 0191 looks like, but if it's the bent arrow shape
that appears on the ENTER key on many keyboards, I vote for that.

Speaking only for myself, as a somewhat typical software user and frequent
manual reader, I'd be confused if I saw a registered trademark symbol at
the end of text I was being asked to type. I'd stop, scratch my head, and
wonder what was trademarked about that particular text. Yes, I'd also look
for a "Conventions" section at the beginning of the manual (assuming it was
a hardcopy book), but my gut instinct is to see this as non-standard usage
of a standard symbol, and likely not to communicate what you're hoping it


Martha Jane {Kolman | Davidson}
mailto:editrix -at- slip -dot- net

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me?
If I am only for myself, what am I?
If not now, when?"
--Hillel, "Mishna, Sayings of the Fathers 1:13"

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=

Previous by Author: Environment statement after copyright
Next by Author: Re: Samples from *employers* (was: should I say something)
Previous by Thread: Symbol for pressing RETURN?
Next by Thread: Super-scripted #s in RoboHelp

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads

Sponsored Ads