Opening Word files in Frame: minimizing damage

Subject: Opening Word files in Frame: minimizing damage
From: Benzi Schreiber <benzi -at- HARMONYCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 12:01:10 +0200

A word from someone who's recently "been there":

Frame 5.5.6 usually does a pretty decent job of converting Word 97 docs.
However, sometimes Frame can't handle the job. It's hard to say why;
graphics, file size and the amount of empty space on disk seem to be
variables in the equation, but I have yet to see actual guidelines on what
files can be converted and what can't. What I do know is that I need to
close all other apps, ensure I have a huge amount of free disk space, and
pray. When the procedure fails, I start removing graphics from the Word doc,
and try again.

Failing to convert the file is bad enough. What's really unacceptable is the
fact that Frame crashes when it encounters what it considers a problematic
Word file. And if you've got 20 Frame files open, the results can be
painful: you have 20 recovery files to check against the corresponding .fm
files, to see which are more up to date.

So, in addition to my earlier conclusions, I now have an additional piece of
advice: Before opening the Word file in Frame, close all your .fm files.
This can save quite a bit of pain.

(BTW, has anyone got any more ideas on how to make the process more humane?)

Benzi

Benzi Schreiber
Technical Publications Manager
HarmonyCom