Re: Units of Scroll

Subject: Re: Units of Scroll
From: Roy Anderson <royanderson -at- MINDSPRING -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 14:24:54 -0400

I've visted mapping programs to see how they handle movements. They use "zoom
in", "Zoom out", "zoom left/right/up/down" and "shift left/right/up/down". I
also like the previous suggestion of "nudge" to indicate a minor movement.

On the degree of increments, why not use 'small(er) increments' and "large(r)
increments' (or substitute 'steps' for 'increments') and move on? You've done
everything that could be expected of you. It's TGIF time. Have a party and
forget about 'baby steps' and 'daddy steps'. (Grin.)

Good luck!


Kathy Ellis wrote:
> Okay, here's a weird one for the brain trust...
> I'm documenting the user interface for a mapping system. The company we are
> a subcontractor for uses the terms "unit" and "page" to describe moving
> around the screen. For example, you can move the map a little bit to the
> right, and you've panned by a "unit." If you move the map a lot, then
> you've panned by a "page." The big problem with these terms is that we also
> have police and fire units thrown into the jargon as well as real pages of
> maps.
> I also need to quantify the amount that these commands move the map on the
> screen. Moving by "page" is equivalent to clicking in the gray area of a
> Windows scroll bar. Moving by "unit" is equivalent to clicking the scroll
> arrow on the Windows scroll bar.
> What I'd like to be able to say is, "Use the yada, yada command to move the
> map by ..........(the little unit of scrolling)."
> Does anyone know if there is a term and a measurement of screen movement
> for a click in the scroll bar and for a click of the scroll arrow?
> Thanks!!!

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=

Previous by Author: Re: Bad Technical Writing
Next by Author: Re: Lengthy Resumes
Previous by Thread: Re: Units of Scroll
Next by Thread: ASP viewing problems

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads