If you are a member of the STC. . .

Subject: If you are a member of the STC. . .
From: Matthew Nankin <mnankin -at- LYNX -dot- DAC -dot- NEU -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 19:46:48 -0400

> Eric J Ray recently wrote:
> >However, let me steer back to technical communication
> >with a bit of trivia for you. I noticed the article on Open
> >Source Software and Technical Communicators in the latest
> >STC Intercom and noticed that one of the most interesting
> >angles for tech writers wasn't even addressed. (Actually,
> >I have several quibbles with the article, but they're not
> >appropriate for this list.)

Perhaps what is appropriate for this list is to take a moment to
encourage everyone who is a member of the STC to be more active in
questioning printed articles from our professional society.

I believe Letters to the Editor in a professional publication represent the
highest forum for critical thought and discussion. Although I don't
doubt the sincere efforts of the people putting these publications out,
there have been times when I have to wonder about the articles that are
published---particularly in the national publications.

It is unfortunate that being in print often confers a legitimacy on
articles (particularly those involving academic research!) that they
do not deserve.

Is there anyone else who read an article in the June, 1999 Intercom
magazine entitled, "Give them Printed Documentation, Too!" only to find
that half-way through the author goes off on a rather typical
Microsoft-bashing tangent!?!

Matthew Nankin
mnankin -at- lynx -dot- neu -dot- edu

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=