Re: Online Windows Guidelines for Software Design

Subject: Re: Online Windows Guidelines for Software Design
From: Lief Erickson <lerickson -at- MQSOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 07:27:58 -0500

Dave,

"I want a guide that will tell me this type of info quickly, which means
online. Does anyone use an online version of this publication, or do you
just use the MS Manual of Style for these issues (and BTW, the online MS
Manual had no listing for Toolbar)."

I am a lone writer in a small software company and we are still struggling
to establish some interface standards and naming conventions around here,
so I (sometimes) deal with this issue. When in doubt as far as an interface
is concerned the version of my Microsoft Manual of Style for Technical
Publication, Second Edition, does have an entry for "toolbar." It is on pp.
276-77. My version also came with a CD-ROM that contains the entire
publication as well as an HTML version of the Microsoft Computer
Dictionary, which contain around 7600 terms.

If you don't have the second edition, it may be worth your $30. I use mine
constantly. It's a great reference - and it has the power of legitimacy
with the developers, should you need it!

-Lief Erickson
MQSoftware, Inc.
lerickson -at- mqsoftware -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=