What's it called?

Subject: What's it called?
From: Lief Erickson <lerickso -at- MQSOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 17:34:42 -0500

Betsy Maaks wants to know:

>We are using a vendor that calls it a "spin box." What do you call it?

The Microsoft Manual of Style does call that feature a "spin box," but goes
on to say, "Use only in technical documentation. Use the name of the
specific box in end-user documentation--for example, the Start time box."
(p. 254)

I have found that just referring to the box by name, not type works best.
Who knows what a radio button vs. spin box vs. combo box and so on really
is? Who really cares what type of field it is? Just call it what it is: the
Copies box on the Print dialog.

-Lief Erickson
MQSoftware, Inc.
lerickson -at- mqsoftware -dot- com