Re: New Chapter On Right/Leave Left Page Blank

Subject: Re: New Chapter On Right/Leave Left Page Blank
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 08:18:34 -0700

> My company insists on the format of keeping the left
> page blank, with the
> exception of a footer, when a new chapter is started
> in one of our manuals.

You mean, the normal way.

> The point is that the new chapter must always be on
> the right hand side of
> the page. I realize that there is merit to this

That's correct, the new page must always be on the
right side.

> approach, but there are
> also problems. In my opinion, keeping the manuals as
> small as comfortably
> possible is a major concern, and this format issue

Unless your manual is VERY small with LOTS of
chapters, having a blank page for 50% of the chapters
isn't going to have much of an impact.

> is a hurtle to this end.
> Moreover, if you are using Word (please don't
> suggest changing word
> processors, it's not the point of my post), adding
> blank pages can place
> you in page break hell. It personally wouldn't

That's the real crux of the issue, no?

> insult my aesthetic
> sensibilities to see a chapter start on the left of
> a page. Would it you?

Yes it would. I expect the chapter to start on the
right and the first time I flip through the pages of a
book and the chapter starts on the left side, I would
automatically think that this was a two-bit operation.

===
John Posada
Western Union International
(w) jposada -at- westernunion -dot- com