Re: Interview Etiquette

Subject: Re: Interview Etiquette
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 11:33:51 -0400

Hallo:

"Condescending and ingratiating"? I'm not sure why. When a waiter serves my
food, I say thank you. When my father offers advice, I say thank you. When
my daughter does her chores, I say thank you. When a doctor fixes my broken
arm, I say thank you . . ..

"Condescending and ingratiating"? You are thanking the interviewer for their
consideration, time, and the opportunity you've been given. You are also
trying to leave an impression . . . although, apparently, some see the
thank-you as a bad thing ?????

The interviewer may be doing their job, but their job does not require
consideration be given to specific candidates. Also, they may not be doing
their job. For example, as a technical writer I have interviewed many
candidates for jobs where I have worked. Being an interviewer was not in my
job description.

It is strange that polite, professional, and courteous acknowledgement is
viewed as "Condescending and ingratiating."

Oh well . . . methinks you boss is . . . strange.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=