Re: Interview Etiquette

Subject: Re: Interview Etiquette
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 13:33:33 -0500

> To me thank you letters are like saying " I am not worthy, you are
> my universe, sorry to have wasted your time" which is ridiculous.

Pierre, are you in the U.S.? That might make a difference, since this
seems to be mostly a U.S. thing (and I'm surprised that it's not as
ingrained in U.S. business culture as I thought it was). It would never
occur to me that a thank you letter meant anything other than "thanks,"
just like I would thank the secretary who went above and beyond the call
of duty for me. Anyway, a thank you letter doesn't have to say "thanks
for lowering yourself to waste your time on such a worthless low-life as
me." It could say it was nice meeting you, your company sounds
interesting, good luck on that new product line, just about anything.

BTW, my worst interview experience was when I asked the interviewer when
she planned to make a decision and she said "I don't know, we're really
not happy with any of the resumes we've received, so we'll be
advertising the position again." Gee, thanks.

Tracy
Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
Curriculum & Instructional Materials Center
Stillwater, Oklahoma http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=