Re: Grading writers?

Subject: Re: Grading writers?
From: Lane Pasut <Larissa -dot- Pasut -at- OMEGARESEARCH -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 11:40:46 -0400

Kathy wrote:

"Does anyone have any thoughts on a company in which all technical
writers are "Technical Writers," regardless of experience, number of
years, etc.? Maybe they think there will be hard feelings if one
person is "just" a technical writer and the next person is "senior"
technical writer."

Titles should reflect job function, but we all know that in most cases
titles are meaningless! In our company, senior technical writers are those
who serve as project leads. They have a higher skill level and the ability
to lead.

Hard feelings? Give me a break! We're professionals now! It is perfectly
natural that some people will have more responsibility (i.e., lead projects)
and therefore hold a higher position within the department (with a title and
salary that reflects this). If the department (company) is well managed, the
responsibility will be well deserved. If you're worried about hard feelings,
something is terribly wrong. My 2 cents.

Lane Pasut
User Education
Omega Research, Inc.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=