Re: Style Guides and Documentation Standards

Subject: Re: Style Guides and Documentation Standards
From: "Miller, Lisa" <Lisa -dot- Miller -at- ANHEUSER-BUSCH -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 10:46:54 -0500

Tom:

We're working on a style and standards guide here as well. The issues you seem
to be covering are similar to what we currently have. As I was reviewing the
documents yesterday, it occurred to me that most writers will make this
decisions on their own. I have seldom referred to a style/standard guides to
answer the questions you pose. If there is a standard, then there usually is a
template. I follow the template. However, I did come up with questions that I
am often faced with that very few companies address. These are:

Company-specific abbreviations
Standard Deliverables
Deliverable (expected) content
Use of third/second/first person
Level of detail
Resource material
Directory structures
Information currently known about the audience
Standard Review process
Roles and Responsibilities

I'm going to recommend that some of this information be added to our standards
guide. I'm sure that not all of these topics apply to all industries, but some
do or at least should.

Lisa Miller
Technical Writer