Re: Style Guides and Documentation Standards

Subject: Re: Style Guides and Documentation Standards
From: "Eric L. Dunn" <edunn -at- TRANSPORT -dot- BOMBARDIER -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 12:19:21 -0400

I can easily say that the industry in which I work (railroad mass transit
equipment) is very difficult to implement standards. Each customer has
their own idea as to what the right way to do things is and thinks they are
the best operating system on the planet. Indeed most of the operating
authorities are run like small realms, sometimes seemingly completely
detached from the outside world. Unlike the aviation industry, there is
little need for inter-operability or a common ground for of communication.
In some cases (placarding, warnings) customers are reluctant to change to
international (or even national) standards because their employees will not
recognise them.

From an overall view, I think Lisa Miller gave some good common points.
It's not an overall style guide that is required, but the list of required
information. Trying to get all the international standards groups to agree
on general documentation standards would also be a plus. I would agree that
there may be some room for the STC or other organisation to do this. After
all the SAE manages well in their field of influence. We need that kind of
representation on ANSI as well.

Eric L. Dunn

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=