Re: Style Guides and Documentation Standards

Subject: Re: Style Guides and Documentation Standards
From: Helen Cygnarowicz <helen -at- TIW -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 10:46:29 -0700

Tom's point about ISO is interesting and something to consider. But I have
another question here. What are they teaching in the classes that are
offered for degrees in Technical Writing or Technical Communication? Is
there any focus on style issues? How are they resolved? Perhaps a student
could inform me? My point is that if the technical writing community creates
a standard style, how will that be incorporated in the degree programs if
different teachers have different ideas and different style points to make?

I agree that some things can be standardized but I don't believe all
stylistic matters can be standardized. We are human beings after all, unique
and wonderfully different. As our audience is as well.

Helen Cygnarowicz, Manager
Information Development Group
VERTEX SATCOM SYSTEMS, INC.
2211 Lawson Lane