Re: thanks yous and interviews from hell

Subject: Re: thanks yous and interviews from hell
From: Margaret Packman <mpackman -at- CISCO -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 10:09:22 -0700

John Posada wrote:

>I cannot believe that someone would go through an interview that costs
BOTH of you several valuable hours of your day, you make a good impression,
you have the skill set, the experience, and the approach methodology, and
they are sitting there thinking to themselves... "Gee, we really think he
will be an asset to our organization, but saying thank you and shaking our
hands on the way just isn't enough. We'll wait until we get a note from him
and if we don't we're just going to have to settle for the looser that was
in after him who did send us that note."

Back in my pre-techwhirler executive secretary days, I had a boss, a Vice
President, who had been interviewing candidates for a senior management
position for several weeks. One day he asked if he'd gotten a thank-you
note from a candidate he'd interviewed a couple days previously. When I
said no, he said, "That's too bad. I was going to make him an offer, but
when a candidate doesn't send a thank-you note, I take it as a sign that
he's not really interested in the job." He made the offer to another
candidate, who accepted.

Since then I've always made it a point to send a thank-you note after an
interview, even if it's a TNT note (for example, if I decide the commute
was too far). This is such a small world, you're bound to run into people
you've interviewed with again, and I'd much rather run the risk of being
thought overly polite than of being thought too rude or uninterested. I
don't know if it has anything to do with it, but in the past 23 years I've
been unemployed for a total of 3 weeks.

Ms Packman
Documentation Goddess
Queen of Fun
Queen of Domesticity
Holder of Past Knowledge
DNRC O-

"Alpha's just another word for nothin' left to lose.
Beta's not much better, but it's free."

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=