Re: Interview from hell

Subject: Re: Interview from hell
From: Wendy Lewis <wlewis -at- NCLOGIC -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 17:19:43 -0400

My own story:

I used to be a lone tech writer in a growing company and found myself
needing help. Unfortunately, I was only allowed to hire from one specific
temp agency. The resumes they sent were mostly unqualified with the
occasional glowing one. These, I of course interviewed. The first two
interviewees were almost twins. They were both very large, very poorly
dressed, very smelly, men twice my age. Their qualifications made this a
tough decision, but this person would be working in MY cube, about twenty
four inches behind me. Other people later told me that these two used to
work together and had left a trail of candy wrappers and coke cans in their
wake.

I then interviewed a woman who was obviously not interested and a nice
looking, well dressed, younger guy, qualified, but not particularly skilled
or sharp. That was it! No more. Make a decision or forfeit the position. I
made the only choice I could breath with. I later decided that I would have
been better off forfeiting the position. The young guy cost me training
time, retraining time, chatting time, re-retraining time, and then we laid
him off.

I probably should have chosen one of the first two guys, but this now
reminds me of a couple of the Ally McBeal episodes. ;-)

Wendy Lewis

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=