Re: Any UNIX users out there?

Subject: Re: Any UNIX users out there?
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- WAVEFRONT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 17:13:28 -0500

At 06:06 PM 6/7/99 -0400, Christine Pellar-Kosbar wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Several weeks ago, I asked about a documentation program that would:
>-work for Windows and UNIX
>-create files in both HTML and PDF
>-import HTML
>-allow conditional text
>
>Well, the developers here want to use their Free UNIX versions, which Frame
>does
>not support. The Windows users are willing to switch to UNIX for
documentation
>(we have to anyway for other reasons). So, the suggestion in-house is now
that
>we use LYX (LaTeX) or TexInfo with help from importation and exportation
>software.
>
>Has anyone out there tried this? Is it going to be a huge pain?

Well, at least a middling-sized pain. I can tell you about one gotcha that
you should be aware of from the start. I have problems getting decent PDFs
from LaTeX code. TeX to PostScript works fine, but the TeX-generated PS
doesn't generate good PDFs. It seems to be based on the fact that LaTeX
uses its own bitmapped fonts, and PDF has to use font substitution.

Maybe this is just my problem and not universal, but when I asked about it
on this list a few months ago, people weren't very encouraging.

I'm currently looking for a decent TeX-to-HTML tool, so if you find one
(must handle equations well), I'd love to hear about it.

--
"UNIX is user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are."
Beth Friedman

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=