Single-sourcing tool - UNIX solution too

Subject: Single-sourcing tool - UNIX solution too
From: Susan Harkus <susanh -at- CARDSETC -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 11:08:44 +1000

Hi all,
Earlier I wrote about using HDK for my single-sourcing work. Martin Smith
had asked about a tool that can create cross-platform output. Because I am
in a windows NT environment, I hadn't investigated the cross-platform
options of the tool but have just received the following from the HDK
developers, Virtual Media.

"HDK comes with a Java tracking table of contents system that has a
hierarchical index and full text searching. It works along the same lines
as
InterHelp and WebHelp.

There is also a plugin TOC system which is designed to work on Windows
platforms with NS or IE. Its advantages are speed and support for 16 bit NS
and IE. Also it interfaces with Hyperlite which is a virtual book shelf
displaying as many systems as the organization requires. It has the added
advantage of being able to search across all books on the shelf.

HDK has a comprehensive reporting system and you can produce a report of
Topic titles and their associated HTML page names.

HTML file names can be based on one of five mechanisms.

1. Hash id - Internal record number, very cryptic.
2. Topic title trimmed to 8 characters (short filename)
3. Topic title trimmed to 128 characters (long filename)
4. Context string trimmed to 8 characters (short filename)
5. Context string trimmed to 128 characters (long filename)"

I can vouch for the HDK reporting system = wonderful!
Susan Harkus

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=