Re: sentence case

Subject: Re: sentence case
From: Chris Despopoulos <cud -at- ARRAKIS -dot- ES>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 10:52:39 +0200

Whenever I was involved in the decision to use (or not to
use) sentence case in headings, it had to do with the
potential that proper nouns would appear in the headings.
If they are likely to appear, and you use initial caps in
headings, then the proper nouns will not stand out. In that
case (no pun intended), readability suffers, and users need
to stop and think whether a term is a proper noun. Hence
the use of sentence case.

Just my experience... cud

Carolyn Hogan <chogan -at- ARBORTEXT -dot- COM>
Subject: sentence case

We currently use sentence case for titles and TOC
entries in our on-line
help. We don't know the reasoning behind this
decision, and were
thinking of changing to the more traditional
scheme of capitalizing
titles. However, after doing an informal survey of
on-line help, it
appears that sentence case is quite popular.

Does anyone know of any studies/research on the
benefits of using
sentence case for titles in on-line help? Or is
this just the latest
fad?

Thanks,

Carolyn