Re: Reality Check/Compensation -- Sunday Thoughts

Subject: Re: Reality Check/Compensation -- Sunday Thoughts
From: "Backer, Corinne" <CBacker -at- GLHEC -dot- ORG>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 12:39:34 -0500

Susan says:
"In Minneapolis, housing is affordable to the max, AND salaries are
higher than anywhere around, so the house-buying dollar is effectively
greater than anywhere in the West Coast. To afford a good house in a good
neighborhood, a slightly above average salary will do it. (If you can
handle
the "cold inhospitables" (the winters) and the "hot uglies" (the summers),
this is the best place to be.)"

I want to issue a warning as someone who is currently trying to buy a house
in Minn/St. Paul - THIS IS NOT TRUE ANYMORE. The market in M/SP has gone
NUTS in the last several months, it's completely a seller's market. The
average time for a house being on the market is less than 2 weeks, people
are writing offers 20% over list and being countered or ignored, and several
realtors in the area were just busted for kickback-related conspiracies.

It's a great place to live, and the general cost of living IS lower here in
the Midwest, but don't expect your housing dollar to go far in the Twin
Cities area at the moment.

Corinne

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=