Re: Question: Expensive Punctuation

Subject: Re: Question: Expensive Punctuation
From: Geoff Lane <geoff -at- GJCTECH -dot- FORCE9 -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 12:25:30 +0100

Dick Margulis wrote:

I think more problems are caused by the British vs US usage of "million"
and "billion" (which I hope someone else will elucidate).
<<
---
In UK, a billion is a million millions (10^12). AFAIK, a US billion is a
thousand millions (10^9). Thus a British billion is a thousand US billions.

However, the billion is not the only 'unit' that changes size when you cross
the Atlantic:
1 British Pint approximately equals 1.03 'dry' US Pints, or 1.2 'wet' US
Pints
1 British Gallon approximately equals 1.2 'wet' US Gallons

(BTW, I'm confused by the concept of 'dry' pints -- I wouldn't be happy if
my local ale-house served me with one!)

> And while we're examining differences, does anyone know of any problems
> cause by the American system of representing dates (month--day-- year) vs.
> other ways of representing dates (e.g., the "European" method of
> day--month--year)?
<<
---
This is hearsay (and so may be an 'urban legend'). One of my clients is a
major multi-national. So the story goes, they held an international
'conference' in England on the fourth of May 1994. An administrator sent
out email invitations that specified the date '4/5/94'. Two US delegates
arrived a month early for the conference.

Just my two eurocents.

Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK
geoff -at- gjctech -dot- force9 -dot- net

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=