Proper Usage

Subject: Proper Usage
From: "George F. Hayhoe" <george -at- GHAYHOE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 12:26:46 -0400

Sunny Zengler asked the best alternative of

Review Question Answers
Review Questions' Answers
Review Questions Answers

Like Bev Parks and others, my preference would be none of
the above. Instead, I'd write "Answers to Review Questions"
to avoid the strings of three nouns in Sunny's choices, two
of which happen to function as modifiers. Noun strings like
these slow down user comprehension because the user has to
figure out the syntax. It's especially important for the
syntax to be obvious in a heading that users will tend to
skim anyway.

--George Hayhoe (george -at- ghayhoe -dot- com)

George Hayhoe Associates
Voice: +1 (803) 642-2156
Fax: +1 (803) 642-9325
http://www.ghayhoe.com

Winner
APEX '98 Award for Publication Excellence

Awards of Distinguished Technical Communication
South Carolina/Carolina Foothills STC Chapters
1998-99 Technical Publications Competition

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=