Re: Sample Requests

Subject: Re: Sample Requests
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 16:09:01 -0400

Hallo:

It's interesting to see how t.writers get hired.

When I hire, I must see a portfolio. I do not ask that the candidate send
the portfolio, or components, in advance. Nor do I expect to keep samples,
though I have asked (only when I was really serious about the candidate).
Samples must be returned.

Some companies I've applied to, and been employed by, did not ask for
samples. Two gave me a test <g>, something I'd never do except for an
internship position.

Personally, I do not mind sending a sample portfolio by email. It will be
PDF. I can understand how some would prefer not to do this. In truth, there
is something to be said for being there to discuss your portfolio and answer
questions about it, rather than letting the work speak for itself. One fear
is the reviewer saying, "hey, we don't do it this way" when an explanation
would generate agreement.

Regardless, the original poster did not ask that portfolio items be sent in
advance, did she, just that these items need to be available at some point?

All the best in your interviewing and hiring processes.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

I've never seen this, nor would I do it.

>>>Rahel Bailie, Vancouver, BC

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=