Re: Sample Requests

Subject: Re: Sample Requests
From: Melonie Holliman <melonie -dot- holliman -at- TXEXMTA4 -dot- AMD -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 15:32:58 -0500

Howdy,

I think it is a good sign when they ask for samples. I always feel a
little more confident about a job when the interviewer looks at my
portfolio and asks questions. I don't mind sending pieces which
are not confidential by email, either.

However, I am not willing to send hard copy examples (of which I only
have one or two copies each) to a faceless advertisement who might
or might not send them back to me. I am always surprised by an
ad which requires bound and printed samples sent along with a
resume. Considering how many resumes most ads solicit, who could
handle that deluge of samples realistically?

This has taken me out of the running for a job or two. Oh, well, I just
don't see providing my only sample for someone who might
or might not be interested in hiring me and who might or might not
return it. I will gladly email a copy or print one off and bring it
to the interview, but I had to weedle and beg for many of my samples
as it is.

Just my thoughts.

Melonie R. Holliman
Technical Writer