Re: Graduate Degree Programs?

Subject: Re: Graduate Degree Programs?
From: Suzette Seveny <sseveny -at- PETVALU -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 19:17:51 -0400

I don't feel that a graduate degree as opposed to an undergraduate degree would
make an ounce of difference. At least not at my company. A lot of companies
are still very slow to jump on the telecommuting wagon - they feel that if they
can't see you, you aren't working. Hopefully that attitude will change in the
near future.

However ....
Rather than present telecommuting as a benefit YOU would like - turn it around
and offer it for THEIR benefit. In negotiating compensation packages, the
savings of not having to provide you with an office (especially if you are in a
large metropolitan community where the cost per square foot is horrendous),
equipment, etc., coupled with the *possibility* of you being able to work
longer each day (no time spent travelling or getting ready) can be very
effective.

Be prepared though to present in details what your childcare arrangement will
be (do you drop all work when the baby cries, needs to be taken for a walk or
needs feeding?) You should ALWAYS have childcare arrangement al least for the
core hours of each work day to ensure that you can work uninterrupted.

What kind of arrangement will be made to foster communications? Will you have
a dedicated work phone line, email, set conference call times, etc.? Is your
computer powerful enough to handle the company's systems, etc. (you ARE
providing your own equipment, aren't you?)

Even if you have set aside a day per week to go into the office, are you going
to be flexible enough to go in as required for meetings, SME interviews,
problem resolution, etc.?

Once all these things have been carefully considered and presented in business
plan format, more companies will be willing to consider it.

On a more personal note, I have used this method myself to attempt to convince
my company to allow me to telecommute, which would save myself two hours
travelling per day plus associated gas and insurance costs. The last company I
worked for had no problem with this - my current company does. However, they
are becoming crunched for space in their office, so now they are willing to
consider it - and I am anxiously waiting for them to make up their minds. This
is the proof that companies usually only consider this option if there is
something in it for them.

Suzette Seveny
Markham, Ontario, Canada
sseveny -at- petvalu -dot- com or suzette -at- yesic -dot- com
DISCLAIMER:
Any opinions expressed are MY opinions.
Feel free to have your own.
Let's agree to disagree
But Please - Don't Flame Me.

Work is a fine thing --
If it doesn't take too much of your spare time.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=