Re: Graduate Degree Programs?

Subject: Re: Graduate Degree Programs?
From: Adam Korman <akorman -at- EPICOR -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 16:58:25 -0700

What degree makes no difference. Especially as an employee (contracting is a
different world to a certain extent) I'd say there are three important
questions:

1) Are you invaluable to the company?
2) Does the nature of the work allow you to work at home?
3) Is the company flexible at all?

The more emphatically you can answer "yes" to #1 (and be able to prove
this), the less important the other two questions are. It's next to
impossible to be invaluable before you're hired. I would suggest that if
your ultimate goal is to telecommute, you should accept a position with the
best company (not necessarily the highest paying). Look for things like flex
time and casual attire. Also, if they have regional salespeople or
consultants, that can definitely work in your favor (i.e., they probably
already have dial-up network access, etc.).

After working for a company for 6 months I was able to work out a
telecommuting arrangement (which lasted another two years). For me, it
wasn't a simple transition. I was moving out of town, and I left without a
job. After two months they realized they really did need me, and rehired me.
(I submitted a detailed proposal, kept in touch, and had colleagues talking
to management on my behalf all the while).

You're in a much better position to make this kind of request after you've
learned the ropes and proven yourself. Good luck!

Adam Korman
<akorman -at- epicor -dot- com>