Re: The Internet and the rest of the world

Subject: Re: The Internet and the rest of the world
From: Elizabeth Whitaker <elwhitaker -at- FTC-I -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 15:48:37 -0400

At 05:01 PM 6/26/99 -0500, stamankr -at- JMU -dot- EDU wrote:
>Does anyone know how accessible Internet sites are to individuals living
>outside of the US (especially in areas like Africa, the former USSR and
>Asia)? Is cost a prohibitive factor, and are there communicaiton problems
>such as the phone lines suddenly flickering out (can the phone lines in
>some of these areas even accomodate Internet traffic/access)?

There are cost and communication factors which vary by country.

For instance, in the UK, I've heard that *all* phone calls are charged by
the minute. In Germany, there were (still are?) exotic phone charges
between the German states.

There are enough problems that one mailing list I'm on that has a wide
international membership of non-academic individuals has minimum-
quote rules to help keep down these users' phone charges.

Elizabeth Whitaker

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=