Graduate Degree Programs?

Subject: Graduate Degree Programs?
From: Elizabeth Harmon <o_quebra_luz -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 16:13:18 MDT

Hey everyone! I am about to graduate with an English-Technical Writing
Degree from my University. I have been interviewing at many, many places
and I have heard a general concern echoed that I thought I'd bring up here.
***Name Changed to Protect Identity***

Now, before I ask my question, I want to make it clear that I am not looking
for any IMHOs or whether my decision is acceptable or not. I also don't wish
to re-hash the interviewer etiquette question. I'm asking for a general
reaction from professionals (I know there are a *few* of you out there) as
to whether a graduate degree would be a better bargaining tool than simply
an undergraduate degree. Read On. If you wish to avaiod my long
explanation, my question is at the bottom.

I am newly married, and I have decided that I want to be able to telecommute
from my home. I would be willing, of course, to work on site at any
location up until the time that I have children (which will be sooner than
later). However, I will remain at home after that and wish to work both
full-time jobs if necesarry. This would be when I would want to
telecommute. Occasional on-site working (once a week, maybe) would be fine
for me, but I want to remain home most of the time.

In my interviews, I have consistently heard that I'm very talented, and
they'd love to hire me, BUT telecommuting in the future would be out of the
question for a newer tech writer. I have been offered four excellent
positions that I would be insane to turn down. My dilemma is that they all
include the "no telecommuting" clause. Two of my potential employers have
mentioned that if I had a graduate degree, I would have more of a tool to
bargain with.

---> QUESTION: Does a graduate degree really *improve* the possibility of
securing a telecommuting postion, or is this a simple way of saying, "Honey,
you're nuts!" Does anyone out there have any experience with this?

You may reply to me personally if you wish. I will post a full summary in
the near future. Thank you!

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=