Information Architecture Update .....Training, Stories, and Getting Jobs in the Field

Subject: Information Architecture Update .....Training, Stories, and Getting Jobs in the Field
From: Thom Haller <tehaller -at- INFODN -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 17:21:59 -0400

Here's an information architecture update:

TRAINING:  If you are a DC-area worker (or want to travel) and you want more background on information architecture...

Here's some information on Info.Design's two-day course in Information Architecture for the Web, taught via Westlake Internet Training.  (http://www.westlake.com)

The course runs monthly ... and garners good reviews and often surprise from the "builders" who are new to building communication products.  As professional communicators, the course will give you the vocabulary to sell yourself better in the Internet/Intranet Community.

If you register for the class, please refer to TECHWR-L. Thanks.

STORIES:  If you are interested in gaining more information about information architecture...
Drop me a line.  We will begin posting Information Architecture stories beginning in August  (when our new site replaces our currently stale and dying site).  Our firm has been looking at the structure of information now for several years, and we have been teaching informaiton architecture now for approximately a year and a half.  So we have some fun stories to tell :-)

JOBS:  If you are interested in persuing work as an information architect ...
        Check out the new Monster.com article: Becoming an Information Architect /Work as a Web Site Strategist
        >http://tech.monster.com/articles/infoarchitect.html
If you are in the Washington DC area and you would like some freelance information architecture work,
please drop me a line:  tehaller -at- infodn -dot- com

---------------

2-day course:
Information Architecture for the World Wide Web
July 15-16

Westlake Internet Training ---  http://www.westlake.com
Instructor: Thom Haller --- tehaller -at- infodn -dot- com

As information architects and user advocates, we must envision information users' worlds more vividly. Information Architecture for the World Wide Web shows you how to follow a user-based process for building Web sites so users can easily locate information, compare and obtain services, and shift time from looking for information to acting on information.

During two days of training, participants receive a working knowledge of  information architecture (how to structure information to support the ways people use information) and they will be able to apply these skills specifically to their web/Intranet projects: identifying user needs, gathering content to meet these needs, incorporating user accessibility cues, and explaining your structure to clients and supervisors.

Some student feedback:

*The concepts and handouts will help me organize the process of developing a site. I  have some good questions now which should help me manage clients a little better.

*I can use what I learn to help improve current working relationships with the sites I manage; plus I can really focus on these steps with any new clients. I got a lot of good tips. Thanks a lot!

*I will use with new clients - help them define user needs, avoid "disease of familiarity"; and with internal staff, providing rationality for spending more time in design phase to be proactive rather than reactive.

* I think the concepts covered here are very practical. It will be helpful in all the projects I'm currintely working on (one is a new site; another is going through an update).

Thom Haller
Information Architect

Info.Design
"The user's advocate"