Re: Reprinting a manual before new software version

Subject: Re: Reprinting a manual before new software version
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 09:24:59 -0400

Hallo Darren:

If the old stock is gone and replaced by the new iteration of the manual,
why not just slipstream the new manual? At some point, when you've sent the
last copy of the old book, ship the first copy of the new book without
fanfare.

If you sell the book at bookstores and retail outlets, put a "new and
improved!" banner on it.

Why worry about customers comparing book revs and becoming confused? Are you
updating all existing customers to the new book? DO your customers typically
use one book to check another book or are they really only comparing the
book against the software (by use)?

Don't bother with loose-sheet inserts. They won't last long enough to be
useful, even assuming they make it to the people that actually need the
book.

Why worry about customers with out-of-date books? If they find out, ship or
sell them one? If you're worried, send a letter to all customers or post a
message on your web site notifying customers of the new book.

I don't like the change bar idea. Methinks t'would look like an unfinished,
review copy. Besides, unless the customers sit down at lunch with an old
book and a new book to compare them, who cares? Customers that have both
books only need to know to use the new book. Right? Those with only the old
book have no need of change bars in the new one, since they don't have it.
And customers with only the new book similarly don't need the change bars to
indicate what has changed from a book they don't have. Am I missing
something? Why do customers need to be able to compare books? They only need
to read the new book to help use the software . . . right?

On the back side of the title page, or other front matter page, I'd be
tempted to put a date. Other than that, if the old book is all gone and will
no longer be shipped, I see no reason to do anything other than slipstream
the new book.

All the best.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com