Re: 2x negatives

Subject: Re: 2x negatives
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 10:14:24 -0400

Hallo:

My opinion is that, in the English language and not maths or programming, a
double negative is *not* equal to a positive. A double negative reinforces
the negative.

However, I avoid double negatives, even in technical writing <g>.
Furthermore, I also strive to only use positive statements, rather than
negative ones, usually by using the word "only." (That shows my position on
the other "grammar question du jour, doesn't it"?)

All the best.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=