Re: Time Estimation Question

Subject: Re: Time Estimation Question
From: Donald Le Vie <dlevie -at- VLINE -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 10:15:24 -0500

I'll have to agree with Mary and others that testing documentation with
associated software is an integral part of the job, though in my opinion,
you are still performing a "usability" test of sorts...making sure the
documentation matches with software functionality is a test of how well each
correlates with the other, which in my experience is a measure of usability
(no, not the true usability testing that conjures up images of human lab
rats working with computers in a room that's wired for audio and video).

But if you're getting pushback from your boss about how you are using your
time for this project, you've got to provide your boss. Once your boss sees
how the testing portion of the project consumes such a significant portion
of your time, I think presenting some alternatives (including an estimate to
completion without the testing procedures) is in order. Up to 3 hours to
perform a single test? Doesn't that fact in and of itself say something
about the eventual usability of the product?

I can see how the range of test times (20 seconds to 3 hour) makes it
difficult for you to provide even a ballpark kind of time estimate. Mary's
suggestion of having someone other than you (the writer) perform the testing
looks like the best alternative.

Donn Le Vie

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=