Re: Since we're asking a lot about Word

Subject: Re: Since we're asking a lot about Word
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- WAVEFRONT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 10:31:27 -0500

At 11:15 AM 7/8/99 -0400, jane wrote:
>Hi all
>
>Why is that, that Word will always open up your document with the styles
in
>such a manner that you always have to go back and change them? Why can it
>not remember that you made a change to a style and the change was
>consistent
>and that's how you saved it and that's how you expect it to be?
>
>Yeah, I know it constantly refers back to a template--but when you change
>style for a document, why does it so strongly insist on changing it back?
>I'm getting sick of having to unbold and hang-indent my Tip/Note Heading
>style. Of what possible benefit is it to anyone that Word formatting is so
>damn bossy?

It doesn't insist unless you tell it to insist. In Word 97, go to
Tools|Templates and Add-ins. I bet you'll find that "Automatically update
document styles" is checked. Uncheck it. Change your styles back one last
time. Save the document. Voila!

If new documents are created that way, you'll need to change that option in
the template itself.

Hope that helps!

--
"UNIX is user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are."
Beth Friedman

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=