Re: Legal Question

Subject: Re: Legal Question
From: DALE WOODEN <dwooden -at- NEWBRIDGE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 12:11:45 -0400

All,

I have used this approach for work I keep on file. The law, in
Canada, states that written material is the company's property and
permission is required if you wish to retain a copy.

Keeping a copy of projects you have worked on, without permission, and
showing them to other companies can even be considered a form of
Industrial Espionage. It might seem a bit extreme, but I'm in high-tech
and if I walked out the door with copies of things I'm working on, and
go down the street to visit the competition with them, I'll have the
cops & lawyers after me before I cash my next paycheck!! They can't
prevent me from using what I've learned, and, unless I've signed a
contract with a non competition clause in it, they can't prevent me from
working where I want. They can prevent me from taking copies of their
property and showing it to others with out permission.

Each time I negotiate a contract I have my lawyer check the
contract to make sure I'm not signing something that might reduce my
potential opportunities.

Bottom line, think it through, and if it's not a sure thing, ask for a
copy to keep. Otherwise you can't use it no matter how good it is.

I've done everything from business plans to hardware/software
specifications and I can't use any of them because of the information
they contain. 8<)

Dale

John Posada wrote:

> What's to say that with permission, your manager
> cannot give a manual back for your portfolio after
> you've turned it in?
>
> "Dear Ms. Bosslady:

<Snip/>
> ===
> John Posada
> Western Union International
> (w) jposada -at- westernunion -dot- com
> (p) john -at- tdandw -dot- com
>
> From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==

begin:          vcard
fn:             Dale Wooden
n:              Wooden;Dale
org:            Newbridge Networks Corporation
adr:            349 Terry Fox Drive;;P.O. Box 13600;Kanata;Ontario;K2K 2E7;Canada
email;internet: dwooden -at- newbridge -dot- com
title:          Technical Writer
tel;work:       (613) 599-3600 Ext. 4901
tel;fax:        (613) 599-3664
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: TRUE
version:        2.1