Re: Word Index (was Index Entries...)

Subject: Re: Word Index (was Index Entries...)
From: Reinhard Jaehnig <REJ-D -at- BETASYSTEMS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 17:56:02 +0200

>Does anyone use Word's concordance file option for indexing?

Not me.

>And, if you do, have you found an efficient way to use this option?

I've got strong doubts whether you can use this approach
to create a good index. For example, if you have a list of
Startup Parameters and three sentences containing cross-
references to this list, a concordance containing the entry
Startup Parameter will create four index entries, when one
would be enough.

An index is NOT a concordance, that is, it does not and
should not document every time a word or phrase occurs in a
text. I've seen very poor indexes that were created using
the concordance method, where cleaning up the index
and deleting superfluous entries would have taken much
longer than doing it properly by hand in the first place.

Reinhard

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=