Re: I'm gonna be an Indexer!!

Subject: Re: I'm gonna be an Indexer!!
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- JAGUNET -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 16:35:09 -0400

On 7/9/1999 4:08 PM, John Posada (jposada01 -at- YAHOO -dot- COM) wrote:

>1) For someone who's never done indexing, if you could
>buy 1 book on indexing that would get me up to speed
>quickest AND that is currently in print (I don't want
>to spin my wheels waiting 4-6 weeks for shippment),
>what would it be, money is not a consideration.

I'd recommend following the instructions in the Chicago Manual of Style
(no idea which edition... I think I have 13th, but 14th is out, or
something). They give a good summary of how to go about indexing, and the
structure thereof.

I'm sure there are many full-length books on How To Index As A God, but
see if the Chicago Manual won't get you started first...

Good luck. I've been a fair-to-middling indexer in my time, but I've
always, always been bored silly by it. I second the single-malt scotch
recommendation, but stick with the 15+-year-olds... you'll need them.

----->Mike

Internet: stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com AOL: MStockman
AOL Instant Messenger: MStockman

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=