Re: Sorta OT: Money-saving tips needed!

Subject: Re: Sorta OT: Money-saving tips needed!
From: Roy Jacobsen <rjacobse -at- GREATPLAINS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 08:46:52 -0500

Well, I don't want to be a curmudgeon, but I have to take issue with some of
these.

>1. Buy the cheapest mice and keyboards you can find.

Considering the expense of RSI and CTS, spending more for ergonomically
designed input devices is still cheap. Also, I've been less than impressed
by the performance and durability of the cheap stuff. These things are the
tools of our trade, so it's something I wouldn't skimp on.

>3. An economic alternative {to mouse pads}is the vinyl table placemats
>that you cut on a paper cutter to make two excellent, indestructible and
>easily cleaned mousepads.

Gee, I think I've paid for _1_ mouse pad in the past ten years. The rest
have been freebies with advertising on them.

Here's a few of my own:
How about shopping around for the best deal on phone service? Many of us can
select our carrier for local as well as long-distance, and the packages
available can vary wildly in cost.

Use a fax/modem in tandem with your scanner/printer, instead of a dedicated
fax machine. Speaking of faxing, if possible, send cross-country faxes in
the evening, when the long-distance rates are lower.

Whenever possible, use second-day delivery, rather than overnight.

Reuse 1-sided drafts of documents as scratch paper, or give it to your kids
for their art projects.

This last one is only a little tongue-in-cheek: Learn Linux, so you can
bring old computer equipment back into useful service.

Regards,
Roy M. Jacobsen
Documentation Supervisor
Great Plains