Re: Senior Tech Writers Needed in San Ramon, CA.

Subject: Re: Senior Tech Writers Needed in San Ramon, CA.
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 09:33:36 -0400

Hallo:

I am not sure how often the subject of what it takes to be a tech writer has
come up, but it has. I suspect all companies use some kind of filter to try
to narrow the kinds of resumes received and to ease the interview process.

The last time I, personally, advertised for a technical writer, I requested
a B.A. or B.S. in English or related field as a minimum. The related field
language was discretionary. For a software company, had I received an
application from someone with a computer-science degree who claimed to be a
writer, I'd have taken a longer look. I would have also looked long and hard
at an applicant who claimed writing experience in lieu of education.

I use a degree minimum as a filter. While I agree there are those without
college degrees and those with non-English, non-writing degrees who can
write well, I fully expect to find more able writers in the group of
applicants who meet those requirements. Further, by looking for someone with
a college degree, I am looking for an applicant who has undergone the
college regimen with it's paper writing, theory, studying, and deadline
requirements, et al. By looking for someone with an English or writing
degree, I am looking for someone with an interest in the language,
wordsmithing, and tech writing in general. I am looking for an applicant who
is at least somewhat committed to the field and who will not jump ship to go
do something more in line with other interests. These thoughts are not
foolproof, but the B.A./English/writing/ related field degree does tell the
applicants what I want and it helps me get a better handle on the
resume-receiving, reviewing, interviewing, and hiring process.

So, if you have no degree, or if your degree is completely unrelated, then
your resume, experience, or something else has to jump out and speak for you
in your absence. If that happens, you must also interview well, or better
than those with the requisite degrees.

In the end, I must heartily support the intelligent use of such filters by
an employer.

All the best.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com