Re: Senior Tech Writers Needed in San Ramon, CA.

Subject: Re: Senior Tech Writers Needed in San Ramon, CA.
From: Donald Le Vie <dlevie -at- VLINE -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 08:46:37 -0500

The education/experience requirements my employers look for change from
industry to industry. For example, when I was hiring Sr. TWs for the
microprocessor design and mfg. industry, I wanted candidates with a minimum
B.A./B.S in English, Communications, Technical Communications, or
physical/engineering science (M.S. preferred), minimum 7 years experience in
fast-paced, multitasking environment documenting digital electronic
components, etc. Now, I'm hiring Sr. TWs to support eCommerce software
development with these education/experience requirements: B.A./B.S in
English, Communications, Technical Communications, or technical degree
(applicants with technical degrees must be able to demonstrate an excellent
grasp of technical writing skills), 5-7 years experience writing software
user documentation, and so on.

Motorola (my former employer) has recently implemented the practice of
hiring applications engineers to write their microprocessor documentation.
The only non-engineering requirement is "an excellent command of the English
language," which says nothing about technical writing skills. There's no
mention of online help skills, HTML knowledge, or any of the other value-add
dimensions that experienced, trained TWs brought to the positions.

Donn Le Vie
Integrated Concepts

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=