Re: Canadian French Translation

Subject: Re: Canadian French Translation
From: Sylvie Boisvert <sylvieb -at- HEXAVISION -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 09:41:45 -0400

Hello Robert,

Depending on content, French French and Quebec French may be quite
different. I strongly recommend French Canadian localization.

Here in Quebec we refer to the Office de la langue française instead of the
Academie française. The Office de la langue française has worked a lot in
the past years on gender wording (not an easy task in French!) which is
shunned upon in France. Example: in France a woman bearing the title of
president will be referred to as Mme le président, in Québec we will use Mme
la présidente. The Office de la langue fraçaise has also put out an
extensive french vocabulary for software/informatiion technology/internet
terminology. Example: the proper translation for e-mail is courriel, not mèl
as in France.

Hope this will be of help. Heres the link to the Office de la langue
française in Quebec: http://www.olf.gouv.qc.ca/

Regards

Sylvie Boisvert
HEXAVISION TECHNOLOGIES