Re: Self-employed status in Canada

Subject: Re: Self-employed status in Canada
From: Chris Kowalchuk <chris -at- BDK -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 15:36:05 +0000

Suzette is right.

You only need to register a proprietorship if you want it to have a bank
account and be able to carry on business in its name instead of yours.
I'm quite sure that as a subcontractor, you do not need to be a
business; most of my subcontractors aren't. I have encountered some
agencies that insist that their subcontractors be registered as
businesses. The only motive I can think of for this, is that they
believe it will more clearly indicate the "arms length" relationship
required between an employer and a subcontractor. They wouldn't want to
be accused of "employing" you, and get stuck paying all those nasty
benefits, CPP, and health insurance premiums etc. This, of course, is
actually pretty silly, because the courts have ruled on more than one
occasion that they define the subcontracting relationship according to
the particular circumstances one is in, and not according to the name
one has given oneself. However, it is a grey area. Carry on, I'd say. If
Revenue Canada doesn't like it, they'll let you know sooner or later...

Chris Kowalchuk

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=