Re: Weird character in Word97

Subject: Re: Weird character in Word97
From: Jeroen Hendrix <jhe -at- POLYDOC -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 10:46:47 +0200

John Possada wrote:

> I recently openned a couple of Word97 documents that
> were fine this morning, that have a weird character in
> the footer of the documents.

> The character is a lower case y with two dots over it.
> Whenever I get near that character, it instantly
> freezes the document and I need to terminate it.

Hi John,

To my knowledge, these "y" characters contain the 'Undo' information of the
previous paragraph. Word keeps all the Undo information for that paragraph
in that non-printable character. This can mean that one single (hidden)
character can hold several pages worth of information. Needless to say,
this can cause major problems.

Make sure you've unchecked the option Allow fast saves, as this will
increase the information kept in the undo information. I'd just clear the
whole footer to get rid of it entirely, save and close the document and
recreate the footer.

Lots of luck

Jeroen Hendrix
PolyDoc