Re: Weird character in Word97

Subject: Re: Weird character in Word97
From: John Lilly <jlilly -at- IDCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 09:25:51 -0600

John Posada wrote:

> I recently opened a couple of Word97 documents that
> were fine this morning, that have a weird character in
> the footer of the documents.

> The character is a lower case y with two dots over it.
> Whenever I get near that character, it instantly
> freezes the document and I need to terminate it.

John,

I, too, have come across this character several times in my footers. I
dubbed it the dreaded umlaut-Y problem, a real gremlin. You may be able
to get rid of it temporarily, but it will reappear and continue to cause
freezes. That Word file is corrupt and your best bet is to move the
contents into a clean blank document using copy and paste or by choosing
Insert > File. You will, of course, have to redo the footers and other
items that do not get carried over by these transfer methods (for
example, margin settings).

When I asked Microsoft Support about this issue, they pointed me to a
general KB article (# 87856) about recovering text from damaged
documents:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q87/8/56.asp

They did not offer an explanation as to how or why the problem arose in
the first place.
-John Lilly

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=