Re: What do you think are Important grammar rules/ideas?

Subject: Re: What do you think are Important grammar rules/ideas?
From: Jo Baer <jbaer -at- MAILBOX1 -dot- TCFBANK -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 14:18:59 -0500

There is a great deal of difference between style and grammar. Without
the foundation of good grammar, style is insufficient. There have been a
number of posts to this list asking what and how to teach about grammar.
A web site that may prove useful is
http://webster.commnet.edu/HP/pages/darling/grammar.htm. It's focus is
grammar, not style.

Style is important, and many organizations have their own style guides.
However, if the subject is grammar, a style guide may not provide the
backup you need to teach grammar or to edit for grammar. "Just do it
because *I* know it's right" sometimes doesn't go over too well, I've
found.

Eric - I don't mean to flame you. What I would like to flame is the fact
that it seems so difficult to find a good grammar guide, unless you
steal textbooks from school kids, but style guides abound.

Having spouted off, I hope I haven't humiliated myself by including
several grammatical errors in this reply. (I'm sure someone will be kind
enough to point them out if I have.)

Eric J. Ray wrote:

> Isn't there an IBM style guide to reference?

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=