Re: OT: Acrobat to ASCII or RTF

Subject: Re: OT: Acrobat to ASCII or RTF
From: Terry Barron <tbarron -at- SYSTEMS -dot- DHL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 12:00:35 -0700

Hi, Sean

Gobbledy gook, eh? I find the resulting content has hard carriage
returns after each line, ugly headings (no styles), and other
problems. But, I don't get gobbledy gook.

We had gobbledy gook from PDF copy and paste operations when a PDF
file created on a Windows platform contained True Type fonts. We
changed the source file to use Type 1 fonts and that fixed the
problem.

The Exchange Online Guide Troubleshooting PDF Viewing section talks
about this in the "Find tool and select text tools not working"
topic. Three conditions can cause gobbledy gook:

"The file is a PDF Image Only file created with the Scan plug-in or
the Import command in Exchange.

The PDF file originated from a PostScript file on the Windows
platform that contained TrueType fonts.

Select Text and Graphics is not allowed by a security setting. (The
Find tool would work in this case)."

~~~Terry

"Brierley, Sean" wrote:

> Terry:
>
> Thanks for the help. I think PDF Zone was down yesterday because I could not
> log on. However, today I found some plug-ins listed there.
>
> I tried using Edit|Copy to clipboard. What I see after pasting the clipboard
> into a WP app is gobbledy gook . . . a nonsensical array of characters.
>
> Thanks for the PDF Zone tip, though. When I saw your post this am, I
> re-tried the address and connected quickly.
>
> All the best.
>
> Sean
> sean -at- quodata -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=