need help with wording

Subject: need help with wording
From: Kathleen Holscher <kholscher -at- NSISW -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 14:47:42 -0500

I'm so flustered I can't think straight! I'm not even sure how to describe
this to everyone. Here goes...I have an 11 page document which only applies
when our product is used with Oracle. My audience is Windows NT network
administrators.

I have a four column table and above the table is a description of what each
column contains. I'm having problems wording the description for the first
column. This column is a list of file names that the user will be locating
on their system. My problem is that the name of the file could be unique on
every system. So I've used the default file name that Oracle assigns if the
user used the default installation. Confused yet?

Here's more detail. If the user installs Oracle and uses all of the
defaults they will get a file called initorcl.ora. If the user installs
Oracle and specifies their own files names, for example, prod, the file will
be called initprod.ora. To make this list of file names even more complex,
there are some file names that are assigned unique numbers for one of two
reasons. So they may have files called data1orcl.ora, data2orcl.ora, etc.
And of course, if they specified their own names the files may be
data1prod.ora, data2prod.ora, etc. Oops, one more thing to make it worse -
this name that they may or may not specify is known by two different
descriptions - an instance name or a SID. Ok, so if you are still reading
this and with me, thank you, and here is my description after the millionth
rewrite:

File Name - This column lists each file name using the default instance name
or SID assigned during a default Oracle installation. The default instance
name or SID is orcl. For example, if your instance name is prod, your file
names will be initprod.ora, pwdprod.ora, etc.

Additionally, some of the files are identifed with a number sign (#)
placeholder in the file name. This placeholder is to identify redunant
files and/or multiple files which may exist because of tablespace
configurations. For example, you may have clt1orcl.ora, ctl2orcl.ora,
data1orcl.ora, data2orcl.ora.

I'm just not happy with how this sounds. Does my description of what I'm
trying to document even make sense? Any suggestions?
Thanks
Kathleen

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=