Re: Space between sentences & Word

Subject: Re: Space between sentences & Word
From: Beth Mason <beth -dot- mason -at- MANTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 15:57:13 -0400

Dick,
Thanks for an informative history lesson. Very interesting! But I was puzzled by these points:

><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
Beth Champion Mason
Senior Technical Writer/Editor
ManTech Systems Solutions Corp.
(757) 938-9377

>>> Dick Margulis <ampersandvirgule -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net> 07/27 6:56 PM >>>
<sniperoo>
>Systems with a word processing heritage (such as Word) ...<snip> do not handle any form of
>French spacing, either true (with a quad) or pseudo (with a double
>space).

>A CONCLUSION
>It is still true that for greater readability extra space after a
>sentence is desirable. Nonetheless, there is no practical way to
>implement the practice unless you are willing to do a lot of manual
>checking of line beginnings and endings. <snip>

The only tool I use frequently enought to speak for is MS Word, which you specifically mention. Word doesn't have any problem handling double-spacing after sentences. Even with full justification and two spaces after every sentence, there is never any additional space at the end of lines or the beginning of lines. You would only have this problem if you selected the custom option of "Wrap trailing spaces to next line" (Tools>Options, Compatibility tab, Options box). By default, this is turned off, and it's beyond me why anyone would turn it on--it will definitely cause those odd beginning-of-line tiny indents.

Just my $.02

Beth

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000