Re: Space between sentences--Eureka! the source of confusion

Subject: Re: Space between sentences--Eureka! the source of confusion
From: Jacque Foreman <foremangraphics -at- JUNO -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 18:26:40 -0700

Sorry, RD I meant to send this to the list

Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 10:07:14 -0700

>>You cannot do everything in PageMaker, FrameMaker,
>>Quark, or Interleaf that you can do on a Penta system, for example,
>or
>>in LaTeX. One of the thing they cannot do is handle French spacing
>>automatically. If an en or em quad follow a period comes at the end
>of a
>>line, there will be white space at the end of the line. If the line
>ends
>>with a period, the quad will appear at the beginning of the
>following
>>line. Double spacing works no better, with the second space
>sometimes
>>appearing as a small indent on the following line.
>
>Huh? I always use two spaces between sentences. Neither WordPerfect
>nor
>PageMaker 4.0 places an unwanted space at either the beginning or end
>of a
>line.
>
>Regards,
>RD

*****

I've used PM since 2.5, currently use Quark 3.32 and have done work with
LaTeX and Not since I justified with an IBM Executive typewriter or the
Manual IBM Composer have I had to worry about the small extra space after
periods (commas, semicolons, etc) that is designed into proportional
type. Too bad, if you want to go back to worrying about such things, I am
afraid you are out of luck. As far as I know, neither is currently
available. As a matter of fact, if you have a manual IBM composer, I have
someone in New York who is interested in obtaining one (with the caveat
that he hasn't located one already), and he will pay any postage.

Happiness, joy & laughter

Jacque - Graphic Designer / Typesetter - Excellence by Design
since 1972 - Pen & Ink Renderings of homes & Bldgs. & portraits from
photos, Brochures, Ads, Flyers, Packaging, Business Forms, Manuscripts,
etc. - Amway Dealer - email: foremangraphics -at- juno -dot- com
Rendering Samples: http://www.abacus-es.com/foreman

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=