Re: Creating Samples

Subject: Re: Creating Samples
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 06:17:26 -0600

Melanie Shook wrote:
> I'm new to tech writing and need more samples for my portfolio. Does
> anyone know where I can find some poorly written, short user manuals I
> can re-write and use for writing samples?

I'd recommend working on a _real_ project (rewriting is NOT the same
as writing, and savvy interviewers will recognize that). The
suggestions usually given on the list are to volunteer for a cause
you care about, contact shareware coders, or just write your own
documentation for something you use (your car, word processor,
alarm system, whatever). If you want to do computer docs
(or at least have them in a portfolio), check out the
Open Source Writers Group, which helps match up volunteer writers
with Open Source (e.g., Linux, Apache) programming projects.
Check out http://www.thepuffingroup.com/oswg/
Eric

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=