Usage "types of car"

Subject: Usage "types of car"
From: David Chinell <dchinell -at- MSN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 15:57:30 -0400

Listers:

Here's one that's being hotly debated in our
department. None of us can find any authoritative
answer.

There are two types of cars on the road today.
--or--
There are two types of car on the road today.

I favor the second version, as I feel "type" is
the subject that must agree in number. I think we
may have grown comfortable with the first version,
since our ear almost glosses over the "types of"
and wants to make "car" the subject, and hence
plural.

Lemme know what you think.

Bear

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=